- Has your child recently experienced a challenge, change, or traumatic event?
- Is constant stress, worry, or sadness affecting your child’s wellbeing?
- Does your child lack coping skill or seem to have difficulty managing big emotions?
- Why might your child be acting this way?
Our individualized counseling services are designed to teach children, adolescents, and young adults effective and applicable coping skills in order to build resilience and improve the capacity to cope with life’s stressors.
We Work With School Aged Children
We currently offer individual therapy to children ages preschool-18 though can accommodate young adults with an IEP up to the age of 22.
We strive to create a non-judgmental, warm, and relaxed therapeutic environment by incorporating games, art, and other fun interventions into each session.
Children participating in therapy at STS will learn skills for handling difficult situations, making healthy decisions, and achieving goals. Common objectives of therapy at STS are to inspire change, increase resilience, develop coping skills, enhance problem solving skills, and manage emotions in a rational and health manner. Children come away with applicable coping skills and parents are provided with the support needed to sustain change at home.
Examples of issues we work with include:
- Anxiety Disorders
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Behavioral Issues
- Depression Family stressors (abuse, divorce, deployment, special needs sibling, etc).
- Grief and Loss
- Oppositional Defiance
- Self Harm
- School-related issues (attendance, learning disabilities, truancy, low motivation/resilience, IEPS)
Individual Counseling Services Parental Support:
At STS we understand how difficult particular behaviors can be and believe in the importance of parent collaboration.
- Does your child speak and act impulsively?
- Have difficulty following directions and listening?
- Struggle to self regulate or calm down when angry, anxious, or sad?
- Seem undeterred by punishment?
Our clinicians will discuss your child’s challenging behaviors with you and help you to gain insight into the “why” of their actions/ emotions.
Parents will be taught practical strategies to decrease challenging behaviors, learn tips for more effective discipline, practice responding to children more effectively and will also be taught how to build connection with their child.
School Psychologist – STS Schools
At Specialized Therapy Services, our school psychologists provide psychological services through assessments, intervention, consultation, and Individualized Education Plans.
Our School Psychologists provide services for children who need a diagnosis, need help adjusting to a diagnosis, implementing treatment or support related to trauma.
Assessments for psychological services may include cognitive, developmental, neuro-psychological, emotional social and familial functioning.
Direct intervention may include individual or group counseling.
Indirect intervention may include consultations with parents, teachers, and/or other school staff to influence the child’s educational and/or behavioral outcomes.